Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Adverb: back bak
- In, to or toward a former location
"she went back to her parents' house"
- At or to or toward the back or rear
"he moved back";
- backward, backwards, rearward, rearwards
- In, to or toward an original condition
"he went back to sleep"
- In, to or toward a past time
"set the clocks back an hour"; "never look back";
- In reply
"he wrote back three days later"
- In repayment or retaliation
"we paid back everything we had borrowed"; "he hit me and I hit him back"; "I was kept in after school for talking back to the teacher"
- The posterior part of a human (or animal) body from the neck to the end of the spine
"his back was nicely tanned";
- The side that goes last or is not normally seen
"he wrote the date on the back of the photograph";
- The part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer
"he stood at the back of the stage";
- (football) a person who plays in the backfield
- The series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord
"the fall broke his back";
- spinal column, vertebral column, spine, backbone, rachis
- The protective covering on the front, back, and spine of a book
- binding, book binding, cover
- The part of a garment that covers the back of your body
"they pinned a 'kick me' sign on his back"
- A support that you can lean against while sitting
"the back of the dental chair was adjustable";
- (American football) the position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage
- Pick one person to give support and approval to in a particular role
"I backed Kennedy in 1960";
- endorse, indorse, plump for, plunk for, support
- Travel backward
"back into the driveway"; "The car backed up and hit the tree"
- Give support or one's approval to
"I can't back this plan";
- second, endorse, indorse
- Cause to travel backward
"back the car into the parking spot"
- Support financial backing for
"back this enterprise"
- Be in back of
"My garage backs their yard"
- Place a bet on
"Which horse are you backing?";
- bet on, gage [archaic], stake, game, punt
- Shift to a counterclockwise direction
"the wind backed"
- Establish as valid or genuine
"Can you back up your claims?";
- back up
- Strengthen by providing with a back or backing
- Related to or located at the back
"the back yard"; "the back entrance"
- Located at or near the back of an animal
- hind, hinder
- Of an earlier date
"back issues of the magazine"
- Far from the main area or way
"she knows a back route"
Possible typos and wrong spellings of the word back